How to Prepare for IELTS (You Won’t Believe How Easy It Is!)
It’s no surprise that to apply to a study abroad program, you’ll need a test to prove your proficiency in the English language! Some programs require you to take a TOEFL exam, while others require an IELTS exam. Applying to your study abroad program through Educatly means you need a good IELTS exam score. It’s actually one of the most important exams you will ever take. It is the key to getting into the college or university of your choice and can open doors to many amazing opportunities. But how do you prepare for an exam that is so important? Educatly is telling you how to prepare for IELTS!
What Is An IELTS Exam?
The International English Language Testing System (IELTS) exam is a standard for assessing the English language skills of non-native speakers who want to study abroad or work abroad. You can find an examination centre near you, wherever you are, as there are over 3,500 organizations in 175 countries that offer the test. The exam has four modules for you to ace: reading, listening, writing, and speaking.
We've all heard horror stories of friends and family members who have struggled with their IELTS exams. They said it was difficult, that they didn't understand what to do, etc., but the truth is that with a little bit of preparation, it can be much easier than you think!
How To Prepare For An IELTS Exam?
You might be surprised to learn that it is not as difficult as you might think. With a little bit of planning and some helpful tips, you can ace your IELTS exam with ease.
Here are some things you can do to prepare:
- 1. Get familiar with the format of the exam, which is listening, reading, writing, and speaking.
- 2. Make sure you understand the requirements for each section. Each section of the IELTS exam has different requirements in terms of the time limit, the number of questions, and the types of questions. make sure you understand what is required for each section before you start preparing.
- 3. Practice, practice, practice. Firstly, figure out how you want to practice and study. Some people like to study on their own and take practice tests, and make flashcards. While others take an IELTS preparation course. Find out what suits you and do it to feel more comfortable on test day and increase your chances of success.
- 4. Know your weaknesses. Everyone has strengths and weaknesses, and it is important to know yours before taking the IELTS.
- 5. Get plenty of rest the night before the exam. You need to be well-rested in order to do your best on the test.
- 6. During the exam, relax and take your time. Don't rush through the questions and make sure you understand the questions before answering them.
- 7. After the exam, don't worry about your results. Just relax and wait for your results to come in the mail.
How To Improve Your Writing Skills For The Exam
The writing section is one of the most difficult parts of the IELTS exam. Many students struggle with this part of the exam, and as a result, their score suffers. If you are struggling with your writing skills, there are several things that you can do to improve them.
Here are some tips that will help you prepare for IELTS and improve your writing skills:
- 1. Practice writing and ask a friend or family member to read your work and give you feedback.
- 2. Hire a tutor to help you with your writing skills or use online websites that help you practice.
How to Improve Your Listening Skills For The Exam
There are a few things that you can do to prepare for the listening comprehension section on the IELTS English test, but they’re all about practicing!
- 1. Watch films and pay attention to the words, and maybe even use English subtitles to make sure that you’re hearing what you're reading and train your ears.
- 2. Listen to songs with the lyrics in front of you to help your ears distinguish words and identify them. Add to this list podcasts, online videos, and anything you can get your hand on.
- 3. During the exam, don’t rush anything. Be patient and calm, and if you don’t understand the questions asked, ask the test administrator for clarification.
How to Improve Your Speaking Skills For The Exam
You will be asked to speak for two minutes on a particular topic. This section is designed to test your ability to communicate in English. You need to speak fluently and confidently to do well in this section.
Here’s what you can do to ace this section:
- 1. Practice speaking English as often as possible. The more you practice, the more comfortable you will feel speaking the language. This will also help you practice for the listening section if you’re practicing through conversations.
- 2. Record yourself speaking and then listen back to see how to improve.
- 3. Familiarize yourself with the topics mostly covered in the speaking section of the IELTS exam. This way, you will be better prepared when it comes time to speak.
How to Improve Your Reading Skills For The Exam
This one is pretty straightforward. You have to read, read, read, and read. Use dictionaries and ask questions to really enhance your vocabulary. It will also be of great help if you see some IELTS practice tests online to see the topics in the reading section, to help you prepare a little!
This is what it takes to prepare for the IELTS exam and get accepted to the study abroad program of your choice. What are you waiting for? Sign up to Educatly and update your profile to get a personalized browsing experience through our programs.
Don’t forget to follow Educatly for more on studying abroad and education.