Educatly AI
Efficient Chatbot for Seamless Study Abroad Support
Try Now
inline-defaultCreated with Sketch.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website.

Student Visa Work Permissions in 7 Leading Countries

user image



Having the chance to work while studying in another country is an amazing opportunity for various reasons! First off, it means students can earn some extra cash to help cover tuition fees or living expenses, which definitely alleviates stress. Plus, being financially safe gives a great sense of independence and teaches real-life skills every student needs to become an adult. 


But it's not just about the money. Working part-time while studying abroad helps international students insert themselves into the professional world and gain practical experience that textbooks can't provide. This article explores the student visa work permissions available in some of the top countries around the world to study abroad.


1. The United States

The United States provides various work options for international students on student visas, primarily through the Optional Practical Training (OPT) program. OPT allows students to work in their field of study for up to 12 months after completing their degree. STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics) students may be eligible for a 24-month extension. Additionally, students can work part-time on-campus during their academic semesters and full-time during breaks.


2. Canada

Canada offers generous work opportunities for international students with student visas. Students can work off-campus for up to 20 hours per week during regular academic sessions. Moreover, after completing their studies, graduates may apply for a Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP), which allows them to work in Canada for up to three years, depending on the duration of their study program.


3. United Kingdom

International students in the UK can work part-time and full-time during holidays. The number of hours permitted may vary depending on the type of course and the institution. After completing their studies, graduates may apply for a Tier 2 (General) visa, which enables them to work in the UK for up to five years, provided they have a job offer from a licensed employer.


4. Australia

In Australia, international students enjoy the flexibility of working part-time, up to 20 hours per week, enhancing their overall experience while studying. Moreover, post-graduation, the opportunities continue with the possibility of obtaining a Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485), granting them temporary work rights in Australia. The duration of this visa varies depending on the level of qualification achieved, providing graduates with a pathway to gain valuable professional experience in their chosen field.


5. Germany

Germany is becoming an increasingly popular destination for international students due to its excellent education system and ample job opportunities. While studying in Germany, students holding student visas can work part-time for up to 20 hours per week. 


Post-graduation, Germany continues to be enticed with opportunities for professional growth. Graduates have the option to extend their stay for up to 18 months to seek employment aligned with their field of study. 


6. New Zealand

One of the key attractions for students is the flexibility provided in terms of part-time work during their studies. With the option to work up to 20 hours per week during term time, students can gain valuable work experience while managing their academic commitments effectively. 


Upon completing their studies, students are eligible to apply for this visa, which grants them the right to work in New Zealand for a duration of up to three years, depending on the level of their qualifications. 


7. France

In France, international students benefit from the opportunity to work part-time, with a cap of 964 hours per year, enabling them to balance work and study commitments effectively. Furthermore, upon graduation, avenues for professional advancement open up with the option to apply for a temporary residence permit. This permit grants graduates the ability to remain in France for up to one year, offering them valuable time to explore career opportunities and gain practical experience in their chosen field.


Studying abroad does not need to be a rewarding experience just academically. Students can also work to gain experience and earn money. However, prospective international students need to research and understand the work permissions available in their desired study destinations to make informed decisions about their education and future career prospects.


Ready to embark on your international study adventure? Just sign up with Educatly to kickstart your journey! Tailor your profile to unlock a tailored experience and discover the wide array of programs on offer. If you'd rather have individualized assistance, you can complete a form to arrange a meeting with one of our educational advisors. They'll offer you a free consultation and guide you through accessing high-quality educational options hassle-free.

Share This Article :
Related Articles
Foreign Graduates in the UK Can Apply for a 2-Year Work Visa.jpg
Study in the UK
Study in Europe
As a foreign graduate with a degree from the UK, you can apply for a post-graduation work visa in the UK that lasts up to 2 years.
Read More
What is the German Blocked bank.jpg
Preparing yourself
Study in Europe
Why do students need a blocked bank account to study in Germany? What is a blocked account? How can you get a blocked account? Here’s all you need to know:
Read More
A Comprehensive Guide to Obtaining a Student Visa Anywhere.jpg
Preparing yourself
Study Abroad
Educatly explores the essential steps and provides valuable tips on how to get a student visa successfully and start your study abroad adventure.
Read More