inline-defaultCreated with Sketch.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website.

Want to Get a Post-Graduate Work Permit in the UK or the USA?

Study in the USA
Study in the UK
Preparing yourself
Study Abroad
user image

If you’re studying in the United Kingdom or the United States or want to study abroad there, then you need to know about their post-graduate work permits!


Studying abroad provides you with high-quality education, international exposure, and a global experience. There are many benefits to studying abroad, but one important advantage is that it makes you employable. To utilize your international degree, work experience abroad should be your goal. So you’ll need to get a post-graduate work permit in your study abroad destination.


Luckily for you, Educatly is here to provide you with all the information you need. Here's everything to know about the post-graduate work permit in the UK and the USA!




post-graduate work permit in the UK and in the USA


1. A post-graduate work permit (or a post-study work visa) is also called Optional Practical Training (OPT), enabling you to live and work legally in the USA. 

2. You must have finished at least a 1-year program at a university certified by the US Immigration and Customs Enforcement and Student and Exchange Visitor Program. 

3. The USA’s OPT can be taken twice, whether you’re an undergraduate or a graduate. 

4. You’ll be able to get as many jobs as you want or even start your own business there!

5. You do no need a job offer when you apply. You have 90 days to find a job after you get the OPT.

6. You need to apply for a job that’s related to your field of study.

7. If you have a degree in one of these fields (STEM), you can get a 3-year work permit: actuarial, biological, life, physical or computer Sciences, engineering & technology.


The UK


post-graduate work permit in the UK and in the USA


1. As a student, you must have a student visa or what’s also known as Tier 4 visa. In that case, you can actually have a part-time job while you study and work for 20 hours a week!

2. You have to have finished your degree in an eligible university in the UK and have a letter from the university declaring that you got your degree.

3. A post-graduate work permit (or a post-study work visa) is also called a Graduate Route Visa, and it will enable you to legally live and work in the UK.

4. The post-study work visa lasts 2 years, but if you have a Ph.D. degree, it will last 3 years.

5. You’ll be able to get any job you want.

6. As an established employee in the UK, if you’re making more than £30,000 a year, you can extend your visa when it expires. You can then apply for a skilled worker visa (Tier 2), which will boost your visa for 5 more years. After that, you can actually apply again and get a lifetime visa.


Educatly hopes the information about the post-graduate work permit in the UK and in the USA will encourage you to take that step, or at least help you decide where and what to study. With so many opportunities, understanding post-graduate work permits can help you envision a future in one of these countries!


Start planning your study abroad journey now and sign up for Educatly. You can browse more than 12,000 programs in the USA or more than 25,000 programs in the UK and select a suitable program for you!


You can also follow Educatly for more about studying abroad and education.

Share This Article :
Related Articles
Top 5 Jobs for a Psychology Master’s Degree Holder.jpg
On Campus
Careers of the future
A psychology master’s degree is an amazing step for your career. Let's discuss what it is, the coursework, and the top jobs you can get:
Read More
All You Need to Know About Short Courses.jpg
Study Abroad
If you wanna develop skills and gain professional knowledge quickly, then a short course is due, and there are many benefits to taking short courses.
Read More
5 Things You Should Know Before Studying Abroad in Ireland.jpg
Study in Ireland
Preparing yourself
If you're considering studying abroad in Ireland, Educatly is bringing you the five things you should know before you study abroad in Ireland.
Read More