inline-defaultCreated with Sketch.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website.

Want to Work in Spain? Explore The Post-graduate Work Permit in Spain

Study in Spain
Study in Europe
Study Abroad
user image

If you’re studying in Spain and want to know what it takes to stay back in Spain and work after graduation, we’ve got you covered. Educatly will tell you all about how to get a post-graduate work permit in Spain.


But first, what is life in Spain like? Life in Spain is sunny, full of pristine beaches, mountains, villages, amazing cuisines, high-quality life, and friendly, welcoming people. The cherry on top is that the cost of living is affordable compared to other European countries, so a person can spend €900 a month in Spain and live comfortably.


Regarding the workplace and culture, just like all Western countries, the Spanish work from Monday to Friday for 40 hours a week. Getting a job in Spain could be challenging for ex-pats, but nothing is impossible! Once you secure a job, you’ll have a bright future waiting ahead of you. However, as a fresh graduate, you must get your post-graduate work visa.


How To Get Your Post-graduate Work Visa in Spain:

First, as an international student, you should have your resident's permit and a Foreigner’s Identity Number (NIE) through the local Foreigner’s Office. Along with studying, you can get a job and work up to 20 hours a week.


However, after graduation, you’ll need to go through some things to get your work visa and stay in Spain.


1. Register at the Social Security Office and get a DNI Extanjero using your passport.

2. Register with the General Social Security Fund (TGSS), which your employer can do for you unless you’re self-employed.

3. You need to have a job offer, and the employer needs to prove that no candidates from Spain or the European Union applied and you’re the most suitable applicant.


Post-graduate Work Permit in Spain


The 3 Types of Post-graduate Work Permits in Spain:

When it comes to Spain’s post-graduate work permit, there are 3 types, and they differ in their nature and how you can get them.


Highly-skilled Professional Visa

As a citizen of a foreign country, you need to get a job that is considered a shortage occupation. So there should be no suitable candidates from the European Union, and then the employer will request for you to work a visa. The process could take up to 8 months, and once you get it, you’ll get residency for 2 years, which could be renewed 5 years later.


EU Blue Card

This one is for students with more than 3 years of studying in Spain or people with more than 5 years of professional experience. However, you need a couple of things:


1. Get a job offer and have the employer apply for you. 

2. Have a salary that’s 50% higher than average salaries, or at least 20% higher if your skills are highly in demand.


Once you get it, you’ll also need a visa from the Spanish embassy, and it will be valid for a year, and you can reapply later.


Self-employed and Freelancers Visa

To get that visa, you’ll need to show evidence that you can support yourself financially, that you’re skilled and experienced in your field, have a business plan, and submit any available contracts or licenses from your freelance job if applicable. This work visa can be applied for at the Spanish embassy and will be a year-long one. After it expires, if the conditions are still met, you can reapply!


And if you want to study in Spain, you can sign up to Educatly, browse through more than 300 study abroad programs in Spain, and apply to your favorite one.


You can also read about the top Spanish universities, one of Madrid’s best universities, and all about the best master’s degrees in Spain.


Don’t forget to follow Educatly for more about studying abroad!

Share This Article :
Related Articles
Top 5 Jobs for a Psychology Master’s Degree Holder.jpg
On Campus
Careers of the future
A psychology master’s degree is an amazing step for your career. Let's discuss what it is, the coursework, and the top jobs you can get:
Read More
All You Need to Know About Short Courses.jpg
Study Abroad
If you wanna develop skills and gain professional knowledge quickly, then a short course is due, and there are many benefits to taking short courses.
Read More
This is Why You Should Start Online Learning in 2022.jpg
Study Abroad
Online learning
Online learning proved to be a powerful tool and a way to study abroad while you’re on your own couch. Moreover, here are the top benefits of online studying!
Read More